A popular question to ask when choosing an electric bike is “What is the range of the battery?” Essentially the range is how far you can ride before the battery is depleted. There are several factors that will affect the distance you can expect on your e-Ranger electric bike…
- The terrain you’re cycling on. Going uphill with the motor on full uses more of the battery then cycling on the flat with the motor on low.
- How much you pedal. Switching the motor off while cycling on the flat will have a significant effect on the distance achieved on a single battery charge.
- The weight of the rider. There is a direct correlation between the weight of the rider and the motor requirement to propel the rider up a hill.
- Battery kept in best condition. Setting the battery memory levels on the first 2-3 charges and keeping a regular charge going through the battery. Avoiding leaving the battery in shed/garage during winter. These will all help keep your battery in the best possible condition to give you the maximum possible range.
- Managing the battery/motor. It sounds obvious but the less motor power you use the further distance you’ll obtain from your battery. An e-Ranger fixed frame bike comes with 9 power settings, which allows the rider to use the exact amount of assistance they need during all parts of their ride.
All e-Ranger’s electric bikes, including the folding ones, are fitted with 250w motors and 36v 10ah batteries. The 250w motor is the largest motor that can be fitted on a bike in the UK and still be classed as a bicycle, therefore does not require a licence, tax and can still be ridden on cycle paths. We consider the 36v 10ah battery the best option for weight, capacity and cost. This is why we choose this type of battery for all of our bikes.
Taking all the above factors into account, at e-Ranger we tell our customers that they should expect to get 30-50 miles from one full charge of a battery. We believe this is a conservative estimate; a fact supported by many of our customers telling us they achieve 70+ miles on a bike ride or over a weekend while away from a electric hook up.
Take a Look at Our Range of Electric Bikes
To learn more about the benefits of owning an e-Ranger electric bike, head over to our online store to view our range or you can call us on 01476 592314 and we’ll be happy to talk through the most suitable model for you.